BALINESE CORN FRITTERS WITH GREEN MANGO SALSA
Serves 2-4 l Prep Time 30 minutes l Cooking Time 15 minutes
1 ear fresh corn kernel
1 tbsp chives
2 x eggs, lightly beaten
75g all-purpose flour
35g rice flour
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 stalk spring onions, thinly sliced
5 x shallots, finely minced
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 x water chestnuts, finely diced (optional)
2 tsp coriander seeds, lightly toasted
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp salt
oil for deep frying
1 x green mango, finely diced
1 x medium tomato, finely diced
1 tbsp coconut/palm sugar
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
4 x lime leaves, finely julienned
2-3 tbsp fish sauce
1-2 x chilli padi, finely chopped (optional)
1 x lime (zest and juice)
1. Stand the ear of corn up in a bowl and use a knife to scrape off the kernels. Discard the cob.
2. Wash, chop and cut the rest of the ingredients as specified. Toast the coriander seeds and peppercorns and ground it in a spice blender or hand mortar until a fine powder. Add this to the rest of the ingredients except the oil and mix well into a thick batter.
3. Heat oil to 170 degrees C for deep frying.
4. Using a ladle, drop a spoonful of batter into the hot oil and fry until batter turns golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each side. Drain and cool on a wiring rack. Repeat until all batter has been used up.
5.Serve hot with tomato sauce and chili. Alternatively, spice it up with a salsa dip.
1. Wash and dice the green mango and tomatoes. Add the rest of the ingredients. Adjust to taste accordingly. Store in fridge until ready to serve.This recipe was contributed by Brandt Culinary Partner Palate Sensations Cooking School. Explore their wide array of WSQ culinary courses today! (Follow this link)