GRILLED BRAISED PORK BELLY
Serves 2 |
Serves 2 |Prep time: 30 mins | Cook time: 120 mins
300 - 350g Pork Belly (approx 1" thick)
5 x cloves chopped
3 pcs star anise
1 stick cinnamon stick
2 tablespoon dark soya sauce
1.5 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of chili & pepper (to taste)
1/4 Red Cabbage
3 x small shallots
1 x carrot
2 tablespoons of sugar
120ml apple cider vinegar
120ml apple juice
1. Dry the pork belly with a kitchen towel. Sear all sides in a hot pan. Transfer the pork to a wok or pot.
2. Mix dark soya sauce, chopped garlic, star anise, cinnamon, salt, sugar, a pinch of chili and pepper together.
3. Add 200ml of water. Bring the mix to boil and turn heat to the lowest, then cook for about 2 hours.
4. Score the skin gently. Dry the pork belly with a kitchen towel. Hold the pork with a tong and put it back into the pan with the skin side down.
5. Sear under medium heat until skin is browned. Sear the flesh sides for about 15 seconds each under high heat.
1. Shred carrots into thin slices. Thinly slice shallot and cabbages. Transfer carrot, onion, and cabbage into a large bowl.
2, Add apple cider vinegar, apple juice, and sugar. Mix well. Let the mixture rest for at least about 1-1/2 to 2 hours before serving.
CHARRED PINEAPPLE AND PLUMS
1. Slice pineapple into chunks. Cook in the pan for about 2 minutes per side under medium heat or until they are browned.
- Remove pickled vegetables from the mixtures and remove excess moisture. Reduce and thicken the braising liquid.
- Pour over the pork. Garnish with roasted peanuts and coriander.
Recipe courtesy of Xiao Shun Yu
*visit a recipe converter website to increase/ decrease your ingredients to your needs! -- sometimes, simply dividing or multiplying the ingredients may not be appropriate