SICILIAN-STYLE STUFFED SQUID TUBES
Serves 2 l Prep Time 20 minutes l Cooking Time 2 hours 30 minutes
2 cleaned medium squid, with tentacles
2-3 fresh tiger prawns (cleaned and de-shelled)
3 cups spinach chopped
extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 red onion finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp ground fennel seed
2 anchovy fillets, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (sourdough)
1/4 cup pecorino cheese
2 tbsp parsley chopped, for garnish
1. Blanch spinach in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain and cool under running water. Squeeze to completely dry and finely chop.
2. Put 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened and lightly coloured. Add fennel seed, anchovy, garlic, and oregano.
3. Roughly chop deveined and deshelled prawns and 1/2 of the squid tentacles (chopped).
4. Turn off heat and transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Add pine nuts, lemon zest, breadcrumbs, cheese and reserved cooked spinach. Mix well. Add chopped prawns and tentacles.
1. Using a teaspoon, put some filling in each squid body, taking care not to overstuff. Seal the ends of the squid tubes with toothpicks.
2. Lightly salt the squid tubes. Place tubes into a vacuum bag with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, remove as much air from the bag as you can, then seal.
3. Cook squid tubes in sous vide machine at 58 deg C for 2 hours. Once cooked, remove from the vacuum bag and pat dry.
1. Place squid on a plate, sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges. Using a blow torch sear and colour the squid tubes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.