TERIYAKI CHICKEN WITH ASPARAGUS IN GARLIC OIL
Serves 2 l Prep Time 15 minutes l Cooking Time 40 minutes
2 x chicken drumsticks (Increase the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce accordingly if you are adding on more chicken)
5 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp Mirin
2 tbsp Sake
1 bunch fresh asparagus
3 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180ûC.
2. Season drumsticks with salt and pepper, then marinate in soy sauce for 30 minutes. Prepare the teriyaki sauce. Mix mirin, sake and soy sauce.
3. Coat the skin of the chicken with plain flour. Preheat the pan to high heat (level 8), add oil and sear the skin side until golden brown and crispy.
4. Remove the chicken from the pan and put in the teriyaki sauce till it comes to a boil. Put the chicken into the pan and then into the oven.
3.Bake the chicken for 30-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 65ûC. Glaze the chicken with a brush during the cooking, the surface should be slightly charred.
1. Have a large bowl of ice water ready. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Season with 2 tablespoons coarse salt, and add asparagus. Boil until tender, 3 to 4 minutes (depending on thickness).
2. Remove with tongs, or drain in a colander, and immediately transfer to ice water for 1 minute to stop the cooking process.
3. Preheat a pan to 200ûC. Add butter and garlic, sauté briefly, till the asparagus have brown edges. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside for plating.