WATERMELON CONSOMME SOUP
Serves 4 l Prep Time 20 minutes l Cooking Time 15 minutesIngredients
1x small watermelon
1x 175g cucumber
4x tomatoes (to come to approx. 400g in total)
1x sliced serrano pepper
1-1/2 tbsp lime juice
5g chopped cilantro (1/4 cup packed),
5g chopped basil (1/4 cup packed)
5g chopped mint leaves (1/4 cup)
1 tsp sugar1 tbsp honeysalt to taste
1x block tempeh (sliced thinly)
2 tbsp honey
4g basil leaves (about 2 stalks)
1. BASIL SYRUP- Heat a pan of water till boiling, add in honey and stir till it dissolves. Add in basil leavesRemove the pan from heat and let the herbs steep in the honey solution for at least 30 minutes or put it on an ice bath, stir till it cools to room temperature.
1.Cut watermelon into cubes of 3cm squares. Prepare medium size vacuum bags. Place the watermelon cubes neatly, about 16 square pieces.
2. Add in basil syrup (include the basil leaves). Vacuum seal the bags. Chill in fridge until ready to serve. Before serving, cut the bag and strain the cubes. Set aside for plating.
3. TOMATO CONSOMME.
1. Measure 200g of the leftover odd-sized pieces of watermelon. Make "C" cuts into the tomatoes (cut off the flesh but keep the seed membrane intact).
2. Fill about half of the blender with the roughly chopped tomatoes. Add the salt. Pulse till tomato is in mash form. Remove and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
3. Peel the cucumber and remove the seeds. Roughly chop the cucumber, serrano pepper, 200g watermelon and the mint, cilantro and basil herbs. Blend and add to the blended tomato.
4. Place a cheesecloth above a strainer, over which pour the mixture and allow the juices to drip. Use a spoon to squeeze out remaining juice. Season with lime juice, salt, and sugar.Leave juice (which should be clear) to chill in a jug for at least 20 minutes before serving.
5. Place 4 cubes of watermelon per plate in a shallow bowl and fill with 3-4 tablespoons of the consomme. The chunks of the watermelon should still be visible. Garnish with a sprig of mint leaf and 2 slices of tempeh chips.
4 SERVING SUGGESTIONTEMPEH CHIPS
1. Preheat oven to 150¡C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Cut tempeh into thin slices and arrange on the baking sheet. Sprinkle both sides of tempeh with a spice mix of cumin, coriander, turmeric, smoked paprika and salt.
3. Bake in your Brandt Oven for 40-60 minutes, turning the slices regularly until they feel firm and crispy. Cool and store airtigh.This recipe was contributed by Chef Jason Lim of The Eureka Cooking Lab. Follow Chef Jason's culinary experiments on Facebook and Instagram!